Story House and Garden
Story House and Garden is a place where people come together to listen, share and develop stories. Located in idyllic Daylesford, visitors can take an enchanted tour through a house and garden filled with stories, attend an entertaining storytelling session or participate in a range of interactive story workshops.
Stories are the foundation of a connected and happy life. People who know their own stories have an inner strength and confidence. But in today’s fast moving world people often don’t take the time to listen to stories and appreciate the power of their message.
Lee Medlyn Home of Bottles
The Lee Medlyn Home of Bottles Collection consists of over six thousand old and historical bottles and other related objects. Dating from 1500 A.D. to present time the bottles cover all types of beverages including beer, wine & spirit, aerated waters, preserves, condiments, ginger beer, chemist and drug companies.
You'll find some very rare and significant pieces.
The collection is housed in the decommissioned South Clunes State School. The building was, for over 45 years, used as the Clunes Interknit Mill.
The Daylesford & District Historical Society was formed in 1964 and the Museum established in 1971. The Museum has approximately 800 square metres of interior displays and approximately 250 square metres of covered yard and houses an large collection of local memorabilia and artefacts. The museum has extensive archival resources that are accessible by arrangement for research to researchers and genealogists.
As the Museum and archives are operated entirely by volunteers please contact the Society to arrange for use of the research facilities. Charges are made where applicable. The Society makes a small charge for access to the research archives and also for research undertaken by our Research Team on an enquirer's behalf. As we are a not-for-profit community based organisation we are always most appreciative of any donations
Group tours are welcome by arrangement.
Entry Fees: Adults - $4.00 & Children - $1.00
Friends of Cornish Hill
Cornish Hill is a Crown Land reserve in the heart of Daylesford. This land was intensively mined for gold between 1852 and the 1950’s. It was so named after the Cornish miners whose expertise in deep mining techniques was crucial to the extracting of gold from the quartz reefs running deep under the hill.
The mining left the hill derelict and denuded of trees and it soon became an area where goats and cows grazed. Woody weeds such as gorse, blackberry and broom became established in the disturbed soil, making reclamation and regeneration a challenging and lengthy process.
Spring-fed Smith’s Creek rises near East Street and bisects the reserve and flows into Wombat Creek which eventually becomes part of the Loddon River system. Cornish Hill is a haven for wildlife as well as a community asset to be discovered and enjoyed by all.