Creswick Heritage Walk – 8.5 km | 3 hour loop
The Creswick Heritage Walk links a number of the best natural and cultural heritage features of Creswick, many of which until now you could only separately access and then by car, such as the heritage-listed La Gerche walking trail.
Starting at the centre of the town from the Visitor Centre, the new Creswick Heritage Walk offers the opportunity for an attractive 8.5km, 2-3hr circuit walk. See the attached map. It features the heritage-listed La Gerche trail managed by Parks Victoria with its 135yo stands of conifers and extensive oak gully, as well as historic buildings and an arboretum within the University of Melbourne Creswick campus, topped off with magnificent views from a hilltop within HVP’s Creswick pine plantation.
The Creswick Heritage Walk also offers a greatly improved exit route northbound from Creswick for the Wallaby Trak section of the Goldfields Track.
Please note the Creswick Heritage trail is clsoed on days of Total Fire Ban.
For up-to-date park information including any changed conditions, visit the Parks Victoria webpage or call 13 19 63.
Photo credit: Gib Wettenhall
- Walk is closed on days of code red fire danger
Buried Rivers of Gold Heritage Trail
Beneath the rolling hills of this district are long buried underground streams full of gold!
This self-guided driving tour passes by underground mining operations that won wealth for some beyond their wildest dreams.
Booklets are available for $2 at the Creswick Museum or the Creswick Visitor Information Centre and provide an insight into the past of Creswick and surrounds.
Creswick State Gold Battery
From 1897 the Victorian government provided assistance to quartz gold prospectors through the installation and operation of small quartz crushing facilities (known as government or State batteries) in localities where no privately-owned batteries were available for public use. The batteries were erected in places where auriferous reefs showed promise, and were moved as demand (or lack of it) required. Their number peaked between the wars, with a maximum of 33 in operation. Government crushing facilities were quite small concerns, at first equipped with only three head of stamps, rising in 1904 to a standard of five head. Sometimes the batteries were equipped with 6-heads. The batteries were originally powered by steam, but producer-gas, oil, and electricity eventually replaced steam power. The Creswick State battery was installed in 1902 and is one of the six that still survive in Victoria. The others are Maldon, Wedderburn, Rutherglen, Bright Report generated 30/01/18 and Egerton
- Open days are held throughout the year
Daylesford Avenue of Honour
Driving into Daylesford you will notice the spectacular sycamore trees lining the roads. These tress reflect the seasons, with stunning autumn colours, the bright greens of spring, the bare branches of winter and the muted tones of summer.
The Daylesford Avenue of Honour was planted to commemorate the First World War in 1918. They line Daylesford - Malmsbury Rd, a section of the Midland Hwy and Raglan Street.
- Alway open
Drummond Avenue of Honour
The Drummond Avenue of Honour was planted by local residents to commemorate eleven fallen soldiers in the First World War.
There were originally 50 trees evenly divided along both sides of the Daylesford road, starting on the south corner of the intersection of the Lauriston road and heading south. It is believed that the original planting was in gums, but as they became grub infested, they were removed and replaced with Elms.
- Sunrise to sunset.